Sunday, January 26, 2014

Sleep and Weight Loss

Sleep... oh how I miss you and our long nights (or days) together, why have you left me!


I know sleep is essential for weight loss, your health, and makes Jessica a tolerable person to be around; but lately the tossing and turning for hours at a time has made a good amount of sleep hard to come by. There are a ton of articles out there that relate sleep to weight loss, with the main principle being adequate sleep will increase your metabolism; while lack of proper rest will slow your metabolism.

http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/excessive-sleepiness-10/lack-of-sleep-weight-gain

I do exercise in the morning after work, but I try to give myself time to wind down so I can be relaxed by the time I lay down. I cut my caffeine off by a certain time every morning and I have cut back what I eat the closer I get to the time I go to sleep. I have tried meditating and this used to work, but not lately. Sleep aids... I have tried but don't really care for the grogginess after, and don't want to be dependent on something everyday and then grow immune to it after awhile.

 I am frustrated to think my lack of sleep is one of the causes in me not seeing results with all my hard work with weight loss as well. If anyone suffers from this as well, please share any remedies you have tried that worked or not worked.

I am going to go attempt this sleep thing again...


6 comments:

  1. The only thing that has really worked for me is a set of headphones and a meditation tape.
    But I do like the picture of the sheep. Ever try one of those sleepy time teas?
    Sweet dreams

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melatonin doesn't work for everybody. At my office we also deal with sleep disorders and shift workers syndrome. I can send you a copy of the CD that we give our patients to listen to when they go to bed. I am a horrible sleeper and a lot of mine is caused from anxiety (I swear I'm falling apart). Some tea with warm milk seems to help, or just some hot chocolate made with milk, but very little chocolate just for some flavor. If you want me to send you the stuff we have just text me your address and I can send you stuff from work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle, I am going to try the tea and see if it helps. I have a really hard time listening to stuff when I fall asleep because I focus so much on what it is, I used to listen to music but even that is not working.

      Delete
  3. How about a really boring book. I cannot read much I fall asleep almost everytime I read. Just a thought. Hope it gets better for you soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue ...I have just started reading again, but everything I am reading is really good. I wouldn't want to stop! Lol

      Delete